Brooks Lancaster

How safe is my home in Penticton?

penticton homes for sale

Your home in Penticton is a place for comfort. Home is where you aren’t afraid to take the 5-second-rule a little too far or walk around with your clothes inside-out. It is a place where you can be 100% you – whatever that may look like. 

However, if you aren’t careful, you may come across some harmful things living rent-free in the comfort of your home (how rude!). These conditions can severely harm your health and have the potential to kill you if you don’t work fast to evict them. 

Continue reading below to discover a few ways your home in Penticton might be plotting your demise. And, how to get rid of those pesky squatters.

1. Is there mold in my home in Penticton?

Mold is for the most part harmless. It is found in our antibiotics and even our food! Although, you probably wouldn’t want this guy holding up in your house. For one, this dude, mold—he smells. Not only this, but he also can cause allergic reactions if you’re exposed for long periods of time. In some cases, it only takes one strong whiff to send you to the doctor’s office with a newfound respiratory problem or painful headaches. In order to stay safe, it’s important to prevent the growth of mould. Moreover, if you suspect mold is growing in your home, it is best to have a professional come and check it out. 

Some telltale signs of mold include black, green, or grey spots. Mould is often found in damp areas like bathrooms, laundry rooms, under carpet, basements, and attics. The three most common household molds are:

  1. Stachybotrys – black mold
  2. Chaetomium – similar to Stachybotrys in look and smell
  3. Aspergillus – often found on wood in green/grey flecks 

Mold can cause varying side effects. Most people will experience respiratory problems like trouble breathing. Though, it is not uncommon for other side effects to occur outside of the respiratory system. For instance, headaches, memory loss, and neurological damage. Most people who come into contact with mould only experience mild to moderate symptoms. This does not mean you should neglect the presence of mold in your home. 

You can prevent mold in a variety of ways. For example, by turning on the fan when you take a shower, mending leaks, and keeping any carpet-like surfaces dry. Again, if you suspect mould growth in your home, contact a professional.

2. Has asbestos been used in my home?

Asbestos is a common culprit in the decline of a person’s health. The last thing you want as a homeowner is to have exposed asbestos in your home. This particle and building material is a known carcinogen. It has been known to cause a rare form of cancer called mesothelioma. 

Despite this, the 2018 amendment to the asbestos regulations in Canada, seems to have overlooked a potential loophole (more on that here). It is now more crucial than ever that homeowners check both household items and the materials used in construction. 

Commonly used items like ironing boards, oven mitts, vehicle parts, and more can contain asbestos. If you’ve recently bought one of these items manufactured before December 30th, 2018, it may have been made with asbestos. Furthermore, houses built before 1980 are likely to contain asbestos. 

It can take several years of long-term exposure to asbestos to incur health damages. However, it is not something to take lightly. If there is exposed asbestos that has been damaged by water or aging, the fibres could be present in the air. When you check for damage do not touch the area, as you might accidentally release some of the fibres. Be sure to contact a professional if you think your home may have asbestos. Special tools and equipment are required to safely remove asbestos. Using a professional removal company might be necessary to remove any asbestos from your home in Penticton.

3. Is my home at risk for a house fire?

There are around 24,000 house fires per year in Canada. You wouldn’t want your home in Penticton to become a part of that statistic. However, house fires are incredibly easy to prevent. Educating yourself about the proper use of appliances is essential. And, making sure you don’t forget to turn hot items off.

Cooking is a leading cause of house fires around the world. They are usually started when people leave burners of their stove on, leave the oven running, or heat oil until it starts a grease fire. Grease fires are dangerous and can happen very quickly if you’re not careful. To prevent a grease fire use oil suitable for the temperature you’re cooking at. Always be sure to have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen ready to go in case of an emergency. 

House fires can also occur when you don’t clean the lint out of the trap in the dryer. This should be done every 1-2 times you use the dryer. Moreover, faulty wiring can also be the cause of a house fire. 

Keeping candles away from flammable items and out-of-reach of children and house pets is another way to prevent house fires. Candles can easily be knocked over and catch furniture and curtains on fire. Of course, the best way to prevent fire is to check the batteries in your smoke alarm every month. It’s an easy way to make sure you remain safe!

Stay safe in your home in Penticton.

Staying safe in your Penticton home isn’t always as easy as it seems. Check out SWIPE Contracting in Penticton for help with mold and asbestos removal. For more information on common household hazards to look out for when you’re buying real estate in Penticton, contact us today! We’d be happy to help. We look forward to working with you soon!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.